Ya-who?

Let me take you back to the year 2000 for a minute.  You all remember 2000.  Two things in particular jump out in my memory.  I remember the freakish global paranoia of December 31, 1999 turning into “Oh my gosh, I just withdrew half my 401k to stock my cellar with bottled water, canned vegetables and flashlights.  Who’s the goon that said the world was going to end?”  Eleven months later, hanging chads left the nation hanging in suspense over who would be our next president.  Crazy year.

Well today, I was reminded of a third memory.  I was a senior in high school working on a paper.  I remember being in the computer lab at school and accessing Yahoo.com to use its search engine.  When I could not find what I was looking for, a friend next to me said, “Try Google.”  I thought to myself, “Google?  Who uses Google?”  Why was I reminded of such a trivial moment in a year dominated by much more dramatic and influential events?  I’ll tell you.

The Web Team has just begun to employ Google Analytics for the W&M website.  Basically it gives us an idea of how many people are accessing the website and its components.  Analytics will also show us the average length of time people spend on the site, whether or not they go deeper into the site, and even show us which regions of the world have accessed our site.  This will give us a better idea of who our audience is and their behavior so we can better tailor our efforts to meet the needs of the average user.  In addition, we can set up individualized Analytics accounts for specific departments and offices within the school so they can tell how much traffic their respective sites are getting on the web.  We’re pretty excited about it.

Yahoo?  Who uses Yahoo?

Justin Schoonmaker